Monday 9 March 2015

"Have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay" Moroni 7:29 - 9-3-15

Dear Everyone, 

A week of miracles for sure! I count myself blessed in every way because of the mighty miracles we saw this week. 

Firstly, remember G I told you about last week? Well we have seen him every day this week! He gets more and more interested every time we come, and does his homework between visits. I can't even tell you of the love I feel for this old gentleman who lost his wife a year ago. He breaks my heart every time we meet him because he is so sweet and Southern and cute. We watched The Restoration with him and he teared up and said he felt upliftment from the Holy Spirit. Then the next day we went out on visits with the Bishop and stopped by G's house and it went SO well!! They got on really well and he asked great questions and at the end the Bishop gave him a hug and G said "I think I'll be seeing a lot more of you!" and told us that he wants to be more involved etc. So we invited him to our BAPTISM on Saturday (tell you about that in a sec) and he came, dressed up in his little suit! He sat at the back and we taught The Restoration during the baptism, which he has heard twice already, and he just sat there and cried through it all. At the end as he was leaving we said to him "How did you feel G?" and he couldn't talk for tears and managed to choke out "It feels like coming home". We both cried too and I wanted to hug him so badly! The Ward welcomed him so beautifully as well. We went to his home afterwards and read 3 Nephi 27 with him and we asked him "What sort of experience did you have there this morning?" and he said "A very uplifting one. I haven't felt the Holy Spirit like that since I was a young boy (his Mum was a pastor). It felt as though Christ's presence was really there. It was a church filled with love." And again he was crying trying to tell us that. We invited him to be baptised on April 18th and he was crying and said yes and managed to choke out that that was his mother's birthday and his wedding anniversary. We all were in tears and testified that his late mother and wife both love him and want him to feel and embrace this so they can be a family forever. It was such a tender moment and one I will never forget. I just wanted to pause time and be in that moment forever. 

The next miracle was that we have been teaching this 12 year old girl since the second week we got here. She has been coming to church for 9 months already but missionaries never made contact with her. We had an appointment with her on week 2 of the transfer and have been teaching her ever since. We have to get permission from President to baptise a child under 15 and so we submitted a request and didn't know how long it takes to get back as I've been with YSA since that rule was instituted. Monday night we looked at the phone ringing and had the heart attack when it says "President Center" and formally picked it up. He gave us permission to baptise K!!!! And told me that he had endorsed me for BYU. I said "Don't you have to interview me?" and he said "Are you going to keep campus rules?" and I said YES and he said "Well then good, I have endorsed you." Hahahah. Anyway we REJOICED and let K know the next morning and planned our baptism for Saturday! Her Dad is a non member who totally feels the Spirit in the lessons and her Mum is less active. Her Uncle and Auntie drove up from St George as the Uncle baptised her. Tons of people turned out for her baptism and it went really well. It was so beautiful. My last baptism on my mission and Sister Wilson's first!! Very special. We had to rush to get all the lessons done in time but managed to cover it all and have good daily contact with her. It was a blessing indeed. 


Another miracle!! We met with the S family on Tuesday and followed the Spirit in what to teach. We taught about family history, and challenged L to read certain scriptures about baptism and pray specifically about a date to be baptised on. She looked wary but agreed. It was good we got her on her own because usually her husband talks a LOT and so she could actually talk and we could learn what her concern might be. It helped out a lot. Then we saw them Thursday and Friday, in which we taught about recognising the Holy Ghost. Which was inspired because she started our meeting out by saying "I feel like I don't feel the Holy Ghost, or if I do, I don't recognise it." And we were so happy we'd prepared the lesson we had! It went really well and we rechallenged them to keep praying and reading those scriptures. In the meantime we prayed SO specifically that she would recognise the Spirit and that she would just wake up and feel good about it all etc etc. The Ward ladies fasted for her last week too. Anyway Sunday afternoon they invited us over for dinner. They also invited the Halladays, their fellowshippers, over and the WML's family and the Bishop's family. But the WML and the Bishop couldn't come. Then before they dished up they said "We have an announcement to make. We wanted to just say that we love you all, and no matter what we're all friends.....but....we've decided not to get baptised." And I felt sick and Sis Halladay gasped and it was silent for about 3 seconds. Then J laughed and said "....On July 30th" which is what they previously agreed to with the Bishop. We all exhaled, then he continued "Or March 21st....." and the silence continued until he said "But L has been praying. Can you tell them what you decided?" and I was like COME ON ALREADY and she said "I've been praying and I am ready and feel like we need to be baptised on April 25th!" which is a Saturday and she didn't even know that which is perfect! Very inspired. We all hugged and cheered and cried and clapped! There was a huge line to hug them haha. It is a HUGE DEAL!!!! They have been taught since August and never accepted a baptismal date. And now they will finally do it and have come up with the date themselves through inspiration from the Holy Ghost. I felt so heartbroken that I will be across the world when they get baptized. It's this deep hurt right inside my heart. I was so happy for them but after we left last night I cried the whole way home and for about an hour when we were at home because I love G and I love the S's SOOOOO MUCH I CAN'T EVEN WRITE IT DOWN and to think that I won't be there for the biggest steps of their lives and I wont be there to help them prepare for it. I just kept thinking "I wish I had just six more weeks....just six more weeks". When I woke up this morning my eyes were all sore and crusty from crying and I remembered the S family the night before and felt so happy again! It's such a miracle. I just feel like I'm going to leave a HUGE part of my heart here. 

Another miracle happened last Monday evening. We ventured out into the snow that didn't stop coming for four days, and taught this less active woman. She had answered the door the week before and I felt this instant love for her. Anyway we taught her and she said "I just want you to know that you came at the perfect time. If you'd have come a week earlier I would've said no thanks. But I don't believe in coincidences, and a week before you came, all these events kept happening that made me think I needed to try LDS again." and the miracle is that we came by a week before but walked past the house and both felt like we shouldn't knock there and give it a few more days. It was SO interesting to hear that there was a reason for that. I feel a strong connection with her and am glad that she opened up to us and told us that! She said she feels something is missing and wonders if maybe it's reading the Book of Mormon. I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY. 

We had MISSION CONFERENCE this week! The first time I've ever been there for one. The last one was July 2013 with Elder Bednar. This time we had a special Mission Conference because we got trained on how to use our IPADS. Except I don't get one BECAUSE APPARENTLY I'M LEAVING. So I had to sit through six hours of iPad chat. I just made goals for when I'm home. It was intense though because we had two visiting General Authorities from the First Quorum of the 70 visiting. But it was the best day ever and I was so excited to see all my friends. I feel like they are my family now. I feel heartbroken to be leaving them all too. THE AMOUNT OF COMMENTS I GOT ABOUT GOING HOME WAS RIDICULOUS. Everyone was like "Oh hey Sister Nicholls you're nearly done" and "Oh hey you go home next week" and "Hey are you trunked out of your mind yet?" haha. But it was sooooo nice to see EVERYONE I love and say goodbye. 



And here's something weird that happened. We went to a wedding reception haha. Sis Halladay's son got married. They have been dating for EVER and they sent videos to each other their whole mission and made a long video out of all those videos. They invited us along because they were showing their mission video at their reception and then wanted to introduce us to everyone there and explain about eternal marriage and have us there in case anyone wanted to learn more. So we got permission and went along. Let me tell you - TRUNKINESS NEVER WAS HAPPINESS. That's all I have to say about that. Don't expect a missionary who is finishing in one week to go to a wedding reception and not have one trunky thought #foreveralone haha but it was really weird to be a missionary at a wedding reception. It was really beautiful though. 


Funny story of the day. We got stuck in the mud at Bishop Shumway's house. We tried to get out but our wheels were just spinning and mud spurted EVERYWHERE. I asked Sister Wilson to back me to see if I could reverse out and she stood REALLY far back so that mud didn't go all over her! It was to no avail and finally they had to get someone to come and tow us out haha!!!! Also we started teaching a Philippino man which is cool! 


The miracles I have seen this week will stay with me forever. We now have 9 people on date for baptism. I feel so filled with gratitude and love that I never want to leave. Like Ammon, this is how I feel this week: 
 16 Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel.
We have goaled for 20 member present lessons this week and 4 new investigagtors to keep me focussed. 

Shout out to Sam Shelley who got MARRIED FOR ETERNITY ON SATURDAY! I thought about you ALL DAY and am so proud of you. You are incredible. Your husband is a lucky man. You were the main feature of my talk on Sunday. I'll update you when I see you soon! 

ALSO shout out to the best Mum in the world. I won't talk to you on Mother's Day on Sunday but you'll get the best present ever two days later ;) ME haha. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH and wish that I could be half as loving and giving and selfless as you are. I am so blessed. 

Please keep me in your prayers this week. I will try not to cry ;) I love you all SOOOOO MUCH 

Sister Nicholls

1 comment:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading your blogs, you have showed true Christlike love and served with honour. God bless you and as you return with honour.

    ReplyDelete