Wednesday 17 September 2014

"We are sowing, daily sowing, countless seeds of good and ill." - 17-9-14

DEAR EVERYONE,

I'm trying to think of things to write because it's only been four days of missionary work since we last spoke! But thankfully life is full of ups and downs and not a day goes by on campus without crazy stories, that have us crying with laughter, happening! One sad but funny part of the week was when we finally had to drop L. Even though we're like best friends with him it just wasn't going anywhere. It felt like breaking up with someone because we love him so much and didn't want to stop seeing him but we don't have time to meet with someone who doesn't progress. We were talking outside his apartment and we told him that this just wasn't going anywhere and that it's not that we don't love him because we do, haha it brought back many memories of years gone by! We gave him some cinnamon rolls for the break up and then he beat boxed for us and we went our separate ways. Then he texted us to say he'd read some from the Book of Mormon. If he keeps reading we might start teaching him again but we're going to give him a few weeks. It is so sad!

One of the sweetest experiences of my whole mission took place two nights ago. We found this extraordinarily cute Chinese girl called J on Thursday and we've taught her a few times. It's hard because we don't speak Mandarin and she is learning English. I really love our Chinese investigators, they are just so adorable. I remember how terrified I was when I put my papers in that I would be sent to Asia but now I know I would've loved it because the Chinese people are my favourite. They are so humble and sweet and as soon as they pray they know it's true. Anwyay so we knocked on J's door to see if she was in to set up a lesson with her but she didn't understand and saw us at the door and picked up her backpack and said "Lesson now?" and was ready to go to the Institute building where we usually teach. So we said "YEAH!" even though we already had an appointment waiting for us at the Institute building haha. So we did what any missionary in Utah would do. We knocked on the door next door and asked who were members and who had 20 minutes to teach with us. The first two girls we spoke to said they were members, they were on the soccer team and were conveniently wearing their booty shorts haha. Nothing like trying to teach teenage boys when your companion for the moment is wearing hardly anything. But anyway we split and I taught J while Sister Biery taught A. It was the sweetest lesson of my whole mission. J is super chirpy and happy and I just felt so strongly this love for her. I've been praying a lot to feel Heavenly Father's love for my investigators and while I looked at her I just had this overwhelming love for her that brought tears to my eyes. I bore testimony that her Heavenly Father loved her so much and told her that He loves her the way her father in China loves her. Then she goes "Well...my Father in China passed away a few years ago" and proceeds to tell us the story of how she came home from school and her family were there to tell her her Dad had died and her whole world fell apart and she was depressed. During the story her whole body was shaking she was crying so much. I moved my chair right next to her and held her in my arms while she sobbed into me. We all were crying at this point and she said "Everyone thinks I'm so happy but I just miss my Dad and want to see him so badly but he doesn't exist anymore!" and in that moment I thought how privileged I am to get to be a missioary to share with poor little Chinese girls who have spent years thinking their Dad doesn't exist anymore that she will see her Dad again, that he still loves her and that Heavenly Father has provided a way for her family to be together forever. If nothing else comes of my mission but the peace that she felt that evening then I can go home a happy returned missionary. I can't express how much I love that girl. We taught the Plan of Salvation and at the end she hugged me for like 30 seconds and said in her strong Mandarin accent "I love you". Ahh it was heartbreaking to hear the pain that people carry with them for years about stuff like that. But I am so happy to be able to help alleviate that pain through the Gospel. It reminds me of the hymn Lord I Would Follow Thee -  "I woudl learn the healers art. To the wounded and the weary I would show a gentle heart" - I love that hymn :)

I took a bus tour from Denmark yesterday! It's always fun because you feel like a real VC Missionary when there are 50 people in front of you and you play the Christus and shout loud so they all can hear you that you know Christ lives AND that the statue was created in Denmark! Haha they liked that. Bus tours always ask the most awkward questions about religion so it's a LOT of fun! I love how scared I was at the start of my mission and how the Lord qualifies you for your calling. When else do you get bus loads of non members turn up and beg to learn the Gospel? Haha! I had a long conversation with someone in French the other day, I'm for sure going to study the language more when I get home.

We had the privilege of cleaning the St George Temple yesterday! It's been closed for a couple of weeks and it was so great to go inside and clean my Father's home. Theres always a great feeling in the Temple. When we walk home from campus at night we sing to ourselves "O Babylon O Babylon we bid thee farewell!" haha as we walk home toward the Temple. Then we got to go to the lowest point in the Temple, underground, it wasn't even a real room because it was stone all around us. We had to climb down this ladder in a hole in the floor underneath the Baptistry and clean the red sand from the floor that blew in through this crack in the wall. The crack in the wall is on grass level so we could see grass but its too small to see out of. Anyway it all blew in during the storms so it was SO cool to touch the rock the pioneers touched then they got the water out of the foundation of the Temple. The water mark is still on the rocks. It was so great! I love cleaning the Temple! St George Temple is my favourite :))))

We got to see the CES Devotional on Sunday night with our investigator K and it was exactly what she needed. She got revelation for sure. She said it felt like Elder Christofferson was talking to her because her family aren't members and she wants to be baptized. I love that we get to be in the Institute Building so much and see the Firesides etc. I wish all of our investigators would keep their commitments because it shows how much we get revelation if we go to Church or read the Book of Mormon or attend things.

I have to go, sorry it's so short this week but its only been a few days and I ran outta time! Real fast, we found out J's gender: .............. HE'S A BOY!!!!! hahaha We'll see how that goes!

I love you like nothing else :)
Sister Nicholls

No comments:

Post a Comment