Monday 23 December 2013

Merry Christmas! 23-12-13

Merriest of Christmasses to One and All! 

I come bearing glad tidings of great joy! This week was good. Well there were some rough patches too but what's a mission without that? I'll start with the good times!

First things first, remember how I talk about L and T? Well T was worried we were cold so gave us one of L's jackets EACH! hahaha we felt so bad but he was insistent! They're really cute. They're coming to visit us in London. Another great part of the week was Friday evening! We had two appointments booked that both cancelled on us, and so we called up L and J, who are less actives in the 6th branch that we have just reactivated, because they said if we ever have a free evening to call them! So we did call them and they took us out to see "Christmas lights". I say it in speech marks because they actually drove us out to Ivins to the Tuacahn Theatre to show us a live nativity!!!! It was so amazing!! The Tuacahn is the best place EVER. It's an amphitheatre with the red rock as the back drop and the stars above shining down. The nativity was so touching, we all had goosebumps, and not just because it was FREEZING! There were real life camels and sheepies and lambies and we got in for FREE. Maybe it's free anyway? I dont know haha. BUT IT WAS FREE! And they sung the best songs ever like Breath of Heaven and O Holy Night and What Child Is This? SO GOOD!!!! BEST EVENING EVER. We love L and J! L looks like Father Christmas and he even wore a Santa hat haha. When you come and pick me up you need to book to see someonthing there.

B prayed for the first time in our lessons. We're supposed to have them pray the first lesson but she always refuses but she is getting baptized on SATURDAY so needs to pray! We lovingly explained why we would love to hear her pray and resolved her concerns and she prayed!! Wahoooo!!! It's always the best to hear your investigators talk to God for the first time in their lives. They say the sweetest of all prayers because it's truly from the heart as they haven't recited prayers their whole lives. So B was praying and she felt super awkward because she has never prayed out loud before that she kept stopping and laughing. It was really cute! And I'm pretty sure her eyes were open so I had to keep a straight face or else she'd have thought I was laughing at her prayer which I wasn't'.
We had a great time decorating Book's of Mormon with the C family this week! She said she'd probz read it more if it was pretty on the outside so we remedied that and used our scrapbooking materials that we use to decorate our planners to make covers for their Books of Mormon. It looks pretty now and they've read all this week! YAY! 
Another good part of the week was when we felt prompted to get Dominoes Pizza for lunch. Hahah that was the funniest sentence I ever did write. But we did. So we went and we ran into this woman who we see EVERYWHERE. LITERALLY, EVERYWHERE. Her name is P. She is in the library, she's on the street, she's been in houses we've knocked at hahaha. So we talked to her for ages and it turns out she's NOT A MEMBER! Anyway she didn't want to hear our Christmas message but we felt good about seeing her. And then we ordered our pizza and a woman next to us paid for it! She's not even in our Stake so that was nice! 
Saturday was our miracle day because we needed a new investigator as our three are being baptized this weekend! So we pull out a list (because our appointment with B stood us up) and I felt strongly to visit one of the names. We walked straight there and the woman answered the door and we talked on the doorstep for a few minutes. She invited us in for a drink, which we always accept if it means getting into their homes. We have like five bottles in our bag but we'll always take more if it means we can share a message with them ;) So we share a message and I said the opening prayer and finish praying and look up and she had tears streaming down her face. She was like "I don't know why I'm crying! I'm so sorry!" and so we shared a Christmas scripture then led it into modern day prophets and the Holy Ghost and she LOVED IT. She invited us back for today but we were busy so we're seeing her Thursday!!! Heavenly Father answers our prayers when we are specific! We'd prayed so hard for one new investigator who would invite us in and IT WORKED!!!! She is special. We are excited!! Then we went to the L family for dinner, remember President L of the Stake Presidency who's home we went to for Thanksgiving? Well we are all in love with each other so they invited us over again and we had dinner with them. The most delicious salmon in the world ever. So then afterwards they took us to their friend's house whose not a member and guess who answers the door? P!!!!! From Dominoes!!!!!!! Heavenly Father obviously wants her to accept the Gospel because she is wherever we go!!!!! So she wasn't even the friend that the L's were taking us to see! But she is living there as of the day before for a few weeks! So crazy! She was the only one home so she invited us in and she told the L's that we see each other everywhere and that we just GLOW! She said we are just radiant! We were like BABE ITS THE SPIRIT but not really. We shared a message with her and gave her a Book of Mormon. Heavenly Father really does direct our paths to the second.

The next best part of the week was YESTERDAY! Performing with the missionary choir at the St George Tabernacle is one of those memories you'll never ever forget. Every Prophet except Joseph Smith has stood at that pulpit, and remember the story of how was it Lorenzo Snow that said to them if they pay tithing they'll get rain? That was there! And I've stood there! The L's and the C's came to support us and took pics so I'll get them to send them to you! It went really well and the Spirit was felt by all! Pres Center played guitar for some of them! He's really cool! Me and him joke together and he laughs at his own jokes! WHAT A GUY! I was sitting right next to the big section of Elders and it was so funny because Elders are just funnier than sisters. Cracking all kinds of crazy jokes!


One last thing that'll make Dad happy. I've met 2 Dutch people! And spoken Dutch to one of them! I asked him if he speaks Dutch and how he is hahaha! I couldn't remember any more than that. But I knew you'd be proud of your little girl for giving it a go! Also we were out walking yesterday and there's no pavements in Washington so we walk on the side of the road and this car coming towards us on the opposite side saw us and sped up and swerved towards us like it was trying to get us then slammed the brakes on. We were like what the heck was that!!! And the windows roll down and it was our Elders haha. They were like "Sorry Sisters, you just jumped out into the road from nowhere and we tried to avoid you!" ALL LIES. 

Now for the bad parts of the week! We went up to this house that had a no soliciting sign and wondered if we should knock or not. At length we decided to knock, because every house has one and nothing bad has happened, and we're not even soliciting, what we have is for free! So we knocked and about 10 seconds later this voice comes from the back of the house...I will now write the conversation out for you. "WHAT???........WHAT?????" ..... whispering "is he talking to us?..Hello?"...."GO AWAY!!!! GO EFFIN AWAY!!!" So we start walking away very quickly saying sorry and he comes to the window and shouts "I DONT WANT YOUR EFFIN STUFF. GO EFFIN AWAY!" and comes outside and follows us down his drive shouting "CANT YOU EFFIN READ ENGLISH" and I didn't want him to think we were ignoring him so I turned and quietly mustered up the courage to say "We aren't selling anything..." "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME?" ... "We aren't selling anything!" .. "WELL WHATS IN YOUR BAGS THEN!!" "Err.............my money?...makeup?" "WHY ARE YOU HERE??!?!" "To share a message about Jesus Christ before Christmas!" "WHO EFFIN SENT YOU!!!" "........Jesus Christ..........?" and he looked down and walked back inside. He seriously followed us out onto the street shouting so loudly and swearing and we were so embarrassed! The whole world probably heard it. He was so angry I seriosuly could see him pulling a gun out! It reminded me of that chav in festival leisure park at Luke over the parking. Stupidly angry! So we went home to calm down for a second cos this was close to home and Brother U was there so we told him what happened and he stood up from his desk and said very solemnly "He did WHAT to my girls?" and put his coat on and called Brother S the High Councilman over Missionary Work who is like 6"5 and said "Penn, it's Dale. Some man was rude to the Sisters...........yes, he swore at them..........I know!........I'll be right over." hahaah and he put a big jacket on and got Brother S and went to the house that I told him the address to. Now, I know that the crazy man lives at 383 and one of our investigators lives at 382. I KNOW that. But for some reason, I told him 382 instead of 383. I'm convinced it was the Spirit not wanting him to be contentious! So he went to our investigators house and was all "Were the Sisters bothering you earlier?" and he was like "No Sister Nicholls and Sister D are coming back to teach me in a few days!" and they knew it was the wrong house and changed route and introduced themselves to him haha! I know it was the Spirit not wanting that crazy man to get a bad feeling for the Church because I KNOW everyone's addresses and never do that haha! But Brother U really looks after us. He's building steps in his garden so we dont have to run down his hill in skirts every day haha! 

Apart from that B is being baptized next week and so are J and L! We are so excited! But then we'll be out of  investigators haha! J gives us a speech every time she sees us about how no other missionary could've converted her and how we should teach at that missionary school that they all go to! haha!! We love her a ton! I hope you are picking me up in 15 months so you can meet all these people! 
The next few days will be great, we are going to the L's most of the day tomorrow to make some chocolate fudge and pass it out to our investigators and the members who help us out the most, and then we are having a District Activity in the evening, singing to old people! wooooo! Then we are going to the S family for Christmas! HAPPY DAYZZZZ!!! 



I want to end this email by sharing a poem that someone gave to me this week that I thought would bring some tears to your eyes parents, get a tissue before you read it: 

I skipped the sales after thanksgiving, the thrill just wasn't there, 
No pictures taken with Santa Claus, my decorating has no flair.
Her presents are shoes, skirts and tights, two coats and socks, no fun. 
I've bought her all these clothes because
This year I'm giving Christ my child. 

I've spent more time in the Temple, my testimony stirred. 
I've re-read November's Ensign, felt strength come from His words. 
Our family prays more frequently, My tears are quick to run.
Abraham seems closer because
This year I'm giving Christ my child. 

I wonder how those Lamanite mothers gave their sons to war?
Or how the pioneers chose Zion, their sacrifice was so much more. 
My loss will be her presence, I'll miss her smile a ton, 
For 18 months we'll pray for her
I'm giving Christ my child. 

I stare at her face when she's not looking. I memorize her eyes, their shine,
She's always hungered for that part of her, that makes her soul divine.
The stories and the lessons she's always heard, her choice and mine are one,
I'll put my faith in God's hand this year;
I'm giving Him my child. 

Past gifts have lost their glitter, I think I finally understand
Christ's birth should be celebrated by giving Him a hand.
It's because I know Christ lives and reigns that all the packing's done
My gift has taken years to make;
This year I'm giving Christ my child. 

I know there's one who understands the sacrifice I'm making. 
Who knows the gift I willingly give, the toll it will be taking. 
For He has done it all before, greater love there could be none
For years ago God gave to me, His only begotten Son. 

The hands I washed, the hands I held, the hands I taught to pray
Now knock on doors to find the ones who will listen to what she'll say,

Because I know Christ needs her until all the gathering's done, 
My gift has taken years to make;
This year, I'm giving Christ my child. 

Thank you for giving me to Him for these 18 months. I couldn't do it without your support. I need your love and letters every week. It's a thrill to represent Him at all times, and to teach what He would teach. I couldn't do all of this without you by my side. So thank you. 

I love you so much, 
Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to see your faces! 

Sister Nicholls

No comments:

Post a Comment