Tuesday 17 December 2013

Week 10 - Double Digits!! 16-12-13

Dear Family, 

We're officially in double digits! I had to check to see what number last week's was because I'm starting to forget! That's a good sign :) We got new missionaries in our mission on transfers day last Wednesday so I'm officially not the youngest anymore! I felt so seasoned and experienced when they turned up to the zone meeting ;) haha that was me six weeks ago!

Last week we had a really touching experience. So weeks and weeks ago we visited this old woman who is dying of cancer any week now, and her daughters are all less active. She is about 80 something I'd guess. We spent time with her and prayed with her and then when we went back this last week she remembered us and all her daughters were like "You're the sisters that came over weeks ago??? Mum hasn't stopped talking about you! She was so touched with your visit, thank you so so much for visiting." and it was way touching. So we visited her and talked and prayed again and Sis D said the most beautiful prayer, kinda like a blessing of release haha and the Spirit was strong and we were mostly in tears and she was just so grateful for us being there. It's moments like that that make it all worth it. 

I want to thank everyone who has written a card or who has put a note in the other advent calendar. I LOVE THEM! I open them before I go to sleep at night, and I seriously look forward to it every day. I'm probably going to cry on Dec 25th when there's no more to open ;) The messages are perfect for what I need every day, so thank you everyone for being inspired! 

Best news of the week was when we went to J's house and her DAUGHTER WANTS TO GET BAPTISED TOO! Did I tell you that last week? I think that happened this week? Haha I have no idea. But anyway they're both getting baptised on the same day and we all just LOVE EACH OTHER SO MUCH! They went and got a brand new quadruple set of scriptures and had their names engraved on them! They told the people at Deseret Book that they are getting baptised and apparently they all rejoiced! So cute! Also we asked J to read the intro to the Book of Mormon and the next day (we see her most days to help stop her from smoking!) she was like So I just couldn't put it down!" and she'd read ALL THE WAY THROUGH MOSIAH!!!! Like HALF THE BOOK!!! Haha she is hungering for it and is just radiant. Her countenance has changed. She said that smoking is just repulsive to her now and that she cannot stand the smell and that she hasn't felt the need for one at all! I love her so much!! She makes it all worth it! I cannot wait for the two of them to get baptised. They just soak up everything we tell them. 

The best part about having 7 wards is 7 Christmas parties. Five of them happened within like 15 hours of one another! 3 on Friday night and 2 on Saturday morning! Haha so much food and merry-making. Wherever we go people want to feed us so it was fun. Except the retirement branch that we are over (the 6th branch) had their Christmas party cancelled because of a funeral. I'm sorry for their loss. 

This week we had exchanges. My Sister Training Leader, Sister S from Southern France came and stayed with me in Washington and Sis D went to Washington Fields with Sister D from Peru but really Provo. It started Wednesday night and went until Thursday night and in the middle of the night on Wednesday she woke me up because she was talking REALLY LOUDLY in French haha. I just thought how much Sam Shelley would've loved it haha. She was proper chattering away in French in her sleep! We just had a great time and Dad you've met her cos she was Sis D's last companion.

A woman tried to unconvert us this week! She whipped out the theory about Joseph Smith being epileptic and I felt like saying "Come on, even the anti mormons have left that theory alone because its so ridiculous." haha but I didn't. I just bore testimony and tried to find a way to get out of her house! She is an excommunicated member with many twisted ideas. I felt bad for her because she's gonna get a nasty shock when she dies. I'm definitely getting stronger which is good! I can hold my own. We taught another man who is meeting with the Jehovah's Witnesses and he likes evidence for everything so I don't know how much he enjoyed our visit but he invited us back! He said he lives there with his sister and then his person came out who could've been a boy or a girl so I said "Hi! Are you the sister?" and the person said "I'm a guy. I'm his nephew" HAHAHHAAH AWWWWKKKWARDDDDDDDD!! What can you even say to save that haha. The most awkward moments are in Walmart when the Polygamists are there and its just them and the Sister Missionaries in one aisle and you cheerily say hello to them and they just look at you! Haha like I was going to baptise them with my eyes!! We got new standards of excellence again, President Center is trying to make them good. But he has changed the definition of a lesson. It used to be if we talked about one or more gospel principle with ANYONE, including door contacts or on the street it would count. So we got like 37 lessons a week. Now it's a legit appointment that starts and ends with prayer and is an investigator who is seriously investigating the church and invites us back time and time again. So now we have to get 20 appointments with real investigators and real less actives every week!!!! Super hard but the 7 ward mission leaders are helping us! 

I am so excited because we are in a missionary choir that is performing it's program at the St George Tabernacle on Sunday evening (at 7pm if you want to come ;)) The songs are beautiful and I sit at the top with the sopranos! All my missionary Mums and Dads (ie the Bishops and their wives and the Stake Presidency and wives) said they'd come! We are singing many songs including Still Still Still, Christ the Lord is Born Today and Hark the Herald Angels sing. My singing has gotten a lot better as I'm learning to control my voice and get the higher notes a lot better. I've made some awesome friends here. One Sister in my district from Tonga and I just LAUGH ALL THE TIME! Oh and I saw Sister Allen in the choir practise too!

We ate dinner with a really really less active family last night. They have tattoos everywhere and piercing everywhere but I LOVE THEM! They are so funny and the woman was talking to me about how whenever she goes anywhere that is Churchy everyone looks at her like she shouldn't be there and she started crying!! She is such a good hearted lady and she cried at our spiritual thought too. We are taking them to the Visitors' Centre Friday! Lastly B didn't make it to Church cos she was sick so that baptism is being pushed back to the 28th! A
nd the S family still have no progression there but he wore a tie on Sunday that I made for him and he just made it bigger and put it around his neck and made it shorter so it fit around his neck haha.  The Temple was great today!!! St George is the best temple ever!! 

LOVE YOU LONG TIME
Sister Nicholls



No comments:

Post a Comment