Monday 23 June 2014

Half way....what!?!?! - 23-6-14

Hello loved ones!

So much to say and so little time to say it in. This week has been good. Here goes:-

So we started teaching someone that the Elders dropped a few months back called S. We met him at the VC and he is really sweet and said he wants to get baptized, which is every missionary's dream right? So we talked about that and set some goals to stop smoking and had a return appointment with him. He just didn't turn up. Then texted us that he was still at work and can we do the next night? So we said yes and then he just didn't turn up. So he lives kinda close to the VC so we went to his house and he said that he isn't ready etc etc and it all turns out that his girlfriend has broken up with him. Sad story. But the gospel can help with that! It was just funny that we hunted him down. We will see what we can do when the heartbreak heals.

We had a GREAT lesson with G! She has been taught for a really long time by missionaries but is scared of commitment. She grew up in Utah and goes to church all the time so knows everything, but needs to take that first step of baptism. Before we went into the lesson I prayed that we would find the key to her progression. While we were sitting there it just hit me that she is comfortable where she’s at, and she is terrified of commitment. So, whispering thanks to Heavenly Father I brought up the topic of how in life we get comfortable where we’re at but when we’re stretching and growing is when we are becoming who Heavenly Father wants us to be. She just started crying and crying and saying how she has anxiety problems and whenever she hears a baptismal date she is terrified. We talked for a long time about that and we, through the Spirit, were able to address that concern and make a plan to get over it. We set a baptismal date of August 16th and she accepted it gladly and we promised her that we would be there to help her every step of the way but more importantly the Saviour will. We hope she can keep it up and not stress herself out of eternal blessings. I think that when people are worried that they are making a huge commitment means that they are ready for it because they understand fully what a great commitment baptism is!

Another great thing happened in the VC this week! A British couple from Sheffield came in and I gave them a tour! I find that my accent suddenly gets really strong again when I talk to British people! They were asking all about the Temple in Preston and so I told them where it’s at and stuff. The wife was really interested but the husband was not too bothered. I showed them the Temple pictures and took them to God’s Plan and the woman was so receptive! She said it really touched her and that it all made sense to her and that maybe they need to make some changes in their lives. Then the most incredible thing happened – she not only took a Book of Mormon for herself, but she gave me her phone number too so I can call her and teach her when she gets home at the start of July. I’m always worried that by then they will have forgotten the things that they felt here. It happens all the time. But I left her some chapters to read from the Book of Mormon so hopefully that will sustain her til she gets home. Then adding to the miracle, she asked for another Book of Mormon FOR HER SISTER AT HOME!!! It was so great!!! I just love the miracles that take place in the VC. It’s such a sacred place and there’s nothing more thrilling than sharing your testimony of Joseph Smith with people from all over the world that you will probably never see again but for those few moments you get a beautiful connection.

 I’ve had some fun experiences in the Teaching Center this week! Remember D who I call most days? She has a baptismal date!!! IN 3 WEEKS TIME!!!!!!! I’M SO EXCITED!!!! It’ll be my first TC baptism. She is doing great and has so much faith. W met with the missionaries and absolutely loved what they taught and is progressing very nicely. Then after all my appointments were done I was just online and got the funniest phone call I’ve ever had. It was some man in Australia and went something like this :

“Hi, my name is Charlotte. Thank you for calling the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. What questions can I answer for you today?”

“Hi Charlotte. Where are you from?”

“London!”

“Wow…that’s cool.”

“DO you have any questions I can answer for you?”

“Not really. I just saw some missionaries and they gave me this number so I called it.”

“Oh okay…well….are you a member of the church?’

“Yes. I was baptized three years ago but going to church makes me sad.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. What things bring you happiness?”

“My fish tank. I have Nemo and Dory in there.”

And I had to mute the microphone because I was laughing SO hard and when I unmuted it you could hear that I was smiling when I talked and said “Yes, that is wonderful. Have you ever read the Bok of Mormon?”

“Yes, it teaches to not make fun of people. So what do you think about my fish tank?”

“I think it’s great that everyone has different interests and hobbies, Heavenly Father made us all unique."

“How old are you Charlotte?”

“I don’t feel comfortable giving out that information.”

“Where are you serving Charlotte?”

“I don’t feel comfortable giving out that information?”

“Pray about it, maybe you will feel comfortable..Where’s your companion?”

“She’s right next to me, thank you for calling, have a nice day!”

And I hung up because he was SOOOOO CREEPY. As I hung up he said “Oh, Charlotte!” but he was gone! We laughed so hard about it for so long. I’ve never had that answer before about happiness and fish tanks. Then my phone rang again and some Southern lady was on the other end. It went like this:

“Hello, my name is Charlotte. Thank you for calling the Church of Jeuss Christ of Latter-day Saints. What questions can I answer for you?’

“Do you know Jesus?”

“I’m trying to come to know Him through living His gospel."

“The blood of Jesus is upon you and in the name of Jesus Christ I command-"

And then I hung up the phone. What is wrong with people?!

Anyway it’s all fun!!

We found a new investigator this week from Ohio. She is living with a member family and being adopted by them. She's 17 and is SO prepared for the gospel! It’s a pleasure to teach her. We were at their house yesterday, after Church, teaching and the mum asked if we want some soup so we said yes we were starving, and she hands over this soup that had a full complete chicken shredded up in it. Bones, skin, marrow, everything. We both looked at it and our hunger swiftly departed. But, I just shut my eyes and kept spooning it in. My stomach was turning but I tried not to think about what I was eating and pulled the bones out with every mouthful. Sister Rizzo managed a few mouthfuls but couldn’t do it and I couldn’t blame her. Easily one of the grossest thigns I’ve ever eaten.

A is still going strong! She just needs her husband to come into town from Boston so that she can get baptized! Her testimony is incredible and I love her a ton! We are trying to help our 17yr old investigator K's parents to allow her to be baptized. We went to her house this week and dropped off a card and chocolates for her parents just saying how grateful we are for their daughter and what a great member of the community she is haha! We’ll see how that goes. We tried to contact a ton of potential investigators this week but every house we knocked at the non members had moved and active members lived there. #littlevalleyproblemseveryone is a member. It’s Zion! 

Brother Somerfield my MTC teacher came in the VC! Sister Pearson and I were there so it was weird to see him and say that we’d been out for 9 months and were half way through now! He couldn’t believe it either! Lastly the best bit of info all week was I was in the VC and this man walked in that I recognized as someone I’d taught lots of times in Washington but had lost contact with! We’d put him on date for baptism in January and then the YSA Elders got involved but he disappeared off the face of the earth. I always wondered what happened to him because he was so solid. You can read my emails about him back in December. Anyway he walked in and I nearly cried I was so happy! Then he said he was here for his baptismal interview and I nearly exploded! The Elders had re-found him two weeks before and met with him twice and decided he was so ready for baptism!!!! So he had his interview and then invited me to the baptism and asked me to say the opening prayer! I did so GLADLY! It was the most beautiful baptism ever and I just loved hearing his testimony. He is probably one of the most solid people I’ve ever taught. He remembered everything we’d taught him and specific things we’d said that I had completely forgotten about! He was at his baptism all alone because his family members didn't want to come, so that was sad. But I was so proud of him! He has a great life ahead of him!

I love you all!

Sister Nicholls!

No comments:

Post a Comment