Wednesday 21 May 2014

Lots Of New Experiences - 20-5-14

Dear Family and Friends, 

So to begin the week with last p-day we had the best p-day ever! We went to the Children's Museum and got to pretend to work at Smiths, Zions Bank, the Farm, the Radio Station, a Castle, Obama's office etc. It was SO FUN!! Funniest moment was when these women came up to us and they were like “Is today your p-day?" and we were like "Yes! Tuesday is our p-day because we are in the VC" and she was like "Oh cool! I wasn't sure if you just were taking a break from missionary work!" hahaha. Only in Utah! You have to be so obedient in the Utah missions because everyone knows the rules! But we laughed SO MUCH! It was so relaxing and so fun!


We taught a Seminary class this week too! It's the end of the year so our Ward Mission Leader brother Barney (who is the teacher) invited us to come and speak about how the Book of Mormon has changed people's lives. My companion was really nervous standing up in front of the big group of cliquey teenagers but I've gotten used to it from doing Sisters Training Meeting each week ;) OOoooo just kidding but really. It went well and there were some non members there. It was cool to see a Seminary class that big. As soon as we reached the campus the bell rang and students started pouring out from every door! Music was playing and there was flirting everywhere and we felt SO out of place. Two little missionaries walking along in the 100 degree heat trying to find the Seminary building hahah! It was an experience never to forget! 

Another unforgettable moment this week was teaching the Law of Chastity to L and G. They live together and have three kiddies but are not married. She is a member and he is our investigator. It was too perfect because we were sitting out on their grass with L and then G came out joined us and there were no kiddies so I pulled out two pamphlets, one of them being chastity. We looked at each and confirmed by our eyes in a way that you can only do when you've been companions with someone for 18 weeks straight and put the other pamphlet away and introduced sexual purity to the both of them. It was SO AWKWARD because they kept cracking jokes and we went red because we all know they aren't living it but we were serious with them and invited them to pray about being married sooner than 2015. They said if they receive an answer that they should be married now that they would! So over all it was great! It was just awkward because they mentioned many awkward things. But thankfully we'd prepared the lesson before by role playing with President Center all those weeks ago, remember? hahaha! 

We're not sure what's going on with A and C because she always says she is coming to Church but it's so frustrating when we arrange members to pick them up and we remind them all week and call them Sunday morning to wake them up and then they just stand up the members who go to pick them up. We don't know if we should just drop them and move on or if we should continue visiting and hope that something will click sooner or later. It's so frustrating. We left Church to go and visit everyone who said they WERE coming but were not there in Sacrament Meeting. We picked them up and had them come to the next Sacrament Meeting (same morning). You can do that in Utah ;) haha. The same thing is happening with J, she just isn’t coming to Church and isn't sure if she wants to be baptized. It's just so hard when you try your best and people reject Christ. 

So the laundry room in our apartment complex has died so for the next few months we will have to do laundry at members homes. Which is great because my clothes never smelled clean from that laundry place! So this morning we went to the Bishop's home and did our laundry while studying. The Bishop and his wife had to leave but they told us to get cereal from their cupboard and eat anything we wanted! Haha and they have a really nice house and a black marble grand piano! We had a good time ;) I promise we did study. I LOVE Bishop Jones and his family. You'd all be friends I think so I can’t wait for you to meet them!

On Sunday we went to our Eagles Landing Ward and I sat with Sister Bristol, remember she took us out for dinner a few times and her son was in my EFY group in 2009? Well we love her a ton and we were sitting with her in Sacrament Meeting and the youth all spoke who were graduating High School and then the Bishop stood up and said “And now we'd like to hear from our Sister Missionaries" and so we were like....WHAT!!! hahahahahha and we went up to the stand and I started off my talk by saying "I love giving surprise talks!" and everyone lolled! I spoke about Doctrine and Covenants 97:8-9 and how as I've sacrificed my will throughout my mission I have seen miracles, specifically being in the right place at the right time! The Spirit did all the talking because I had nothing prepared haha. I used those scriptures because we had interviews with President this week and he asked us all about what we are sacrificing for our missions and what we can sacrifice every day. Then we read those verses together and he actually asked me to write a paper on it. I felt like I was at BYU again as I studied it these mornings and tried to write about it. Then I typed it up at the VC before handing it in to him. I was freaking out and I said to Sister Garcia that I wished there would be TA Lab I could visit and show it to them and they could look it over and tell me if that’s what President wanted haha. It was way more stressful than having to write any paper for BYU ever. Papers for Mission Presidents on certain scriptures are scary. But it was funny because we told our District Leader that I have to write a paper on a scripture and he was like, can I ask what scripture President assigned you? So we decided to have some fun and I told him it was Helaman 7:17 and 22 and asked him to find it and read it and he read it on the phone to us and tried to keep a straight face and say “Well…I’m sure that President just felt-" and we burst out laughing. I was like “What do you think that means?!" hahah. You should look up that scripture! 

We went to an RS Enrichment Activity about missionary work and did role plays with the sisters. It was great! I felt like I was at home at an RS activity again. It made me feel a little bit homesick for Basildon Ward! 

In other news I have an ear infection or something because I've had an ear ache for a few days so I'm seeing a doctor today at 3pm and hopefully that'll be sorted out. Well thats all for this week! Sorry not a ton has happened! It's transfers this week so I don’t know when my p-day will be next week yet :( Sorry! Don’t think I’m dead! And pray that I won't freak out about whatever the transfer call is. I'll find out Thursday or Friday from the Assistants and have to keep it in til the weekend! CRAZY! Me and Sister Garcia definitely think we'll be split up because we've been together for three transfers! I'm fine with whatever happens, honestly. 

I love you all

Sister Nicholls

No comments:

Post a Comment