Monday 13 January 2014

Teaching with the help of Dolphins 13-1-14.

Dear Family and Friends, 

This week has been good over all! We had a great lesson earlier this week where we just turned it into a question and answer session! The girls were roughly our age so they asked really good questions and I felt the Spirit working through me to answer them. It's like a little voice in your head telling you to say something and you're like "But that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about right now!" but you slip it in and they're like "That was exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you!" So it's always wonderful to be used as an instrument in God's hands! Also we were out knocking and this woman is impressively less active and her husband broke away from FLDS and she didn't want to talk to us but I felt impressed to mention family history and when I did she was super softened and invited us back to help her with family history!!! LOVE IT! 

The other day we were out walking and felt impressed to knock at a certain house. We knocked and the people invited us in. The woman is a former investigator who didn't get baptised because she isn't married to the man she's living with, but she knows the scriptures inside out and knows it's true. So we shared a message with them, and I just opened my scriptures and picked the first one I saw, and shared it with them. They looked really shocked and were like "You had no idea we were going through such a hard time right now...how did you know to share that exact scripture? We know that you have been sent to us from God because we said just a few days ago that we need God in our life again. Honestly, this is the most we've spoken to each other in weeks." So it was really humbling and amazing to experience that. Those are the kinds of experiences that I would've missed out on if I didn't go! 

We started teaching these two 9 year old girls and our Ward Mission Leader joined us for the appointment. He is retired and is the kindest man in the world, he used to be Bishop of that Ward. He got there before us and we walked in and he had this BIG dolphin teddy in his lap that he was stroking cos one of the kids had given it to him. It was so cute! The little girls were nervous of us so I used the dolphin to lighten the mood by telling Dad's story about how when we went swimming with dolphins his dolphin didn't work as well as the rest of them ;) hahaha it made everything go smoothly after that! So we had no idea when were like 10 years old swimming with dolphins that I'd use that story on my mission haha. 

We started a Book of Mormon class this week! We teach from the Seminary manual. We had a total of 7 come! We were expecting like 2 so it was good! Terral Tyler's Grandma came! I love her so much! She's just the cutest and my absolute favourite. It went well I think, and we're hoping in the next few weeks to actually get some less actives or non members there as it's supposed to be a finding tool. A Dutch man came Dad! I asked him hoo da dack or however the heck that's supposed to be spelled! *

Funny moment this week was that we were teaching this man who is super golden but is on probation right now and his roommate was in the back listening to rock music really loudly. I was trying to teach the pivotal moment of the Restoration where Joseph sees a pillar of light and "The Stroke" by ... Billy Squire? Is that his name?!?! Comes on and all I could see was Chazz Michael Michaels come out onto the ice rink and women throwing their underwear at him. **  It was SO HARD to teach when that's in your mind hahahhahaha! I was like, this is one of those moments that goes into the journal. 

We worked super hard on Saturday because that's always the best day for finding. We handed out some Book of Mormon's which is always good! We'd had Zone Meeting the day before where they'd taught us to talk to absolutely everyone even if it would be awkward! So we walked passed the family dollar store and this employee was sitting round the back on her break smoking and of course we approached her and gave her a Book of Mormon! She said she would like to learn more so we'll see what happens with that one! I just love having this one chance in my life to do awkward things like that! When I don't have a name-tag I'd never go up to someone smoking round the back of a building to give them a Book of Mormon but it works perfectly and I must continue to do so without the name tag! 

A high of the week was when we were in Walmart a stranger came up to us and gave us $30!!!! Kindest man in the world! 

Well, we had quite a few rough spots this week but it has been a privilege to cry the tears the Saviour cries about His lost sheep. I've truly learned of His unconditional love for all of His children no matter their choices, and the pain He feels when they turn away from Him. These experiences are moulding my heart to be more like His, and I know I'll never be the same again. Even though they're hard, it's what He goes through every day. I want to become like Him and completely forget myself but consecrate every desire of my heart to His will. And if that means crying with Him about His lost sheep then I do it gladly.


I love you all so so so so much and pray for you all the time! Transfer calls this week so when I email next time I'll let you know where the next chapter of my mission will take me!


Sister Nicholls


*    Goede dag!
**  Blades of Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment